Building

Learn the History of Windsor University School of Medicine, St. Kitts

In December 1997 the Government of Turks and Caicos islands gave their approval for a medical school to be opened in the island of Grand Turks and Caicos. In January 1998, the Ministry of Education of Turks and Caicos licensed and chartered the medical school and it became operational.


In January 2000, Windsor University School of Medicine had relocated the campus to the Island of Saint Kitts and Nevis with a Principal Dean and a class of eight students. This decision made by the Board of Trustees was due to the lack of easy access to resources for operation of the medical school. In January 2000, then President/Founder Dr. Srinivas Gaddam approached the Island of Saint Kitts and Nevis to relocate from Turks and Caicos. The then educational minister graciously approved the proposal for the relocation and opening of the medical school in St Kitts.


In March 2000, the Government of Saint Kitts and Nevis / Ministry of Education approved and chartered the license for the school to operate. The school of medicine was fully functional with the set objective of delivering quality and affordable medical education. The school of medicine gradually increased its student population and faculty, and this compelled the Board of Trustees to expand the academic campus.


The work of expansion started in December 2005 with acquiring 7 acres of land at the current location in Brighton's Estate. The construction of the new academic campus was completed in December 2007 and it was fully functional in January 2008. The campus facility then included 4 large classroom units, laboratories including anatomy, multipurpose lab, and a student cafeteria. 


Over the next few years, the School of Medicine progressed in terms of improvement in the curriculum, evaluation, and other components of academics. This was reflected in a further increase in the student population along with the diversification of the student body. The curriculum committee and the then Dean realized there was a need for better clinical exposure in 3 basic sciences, this necessitated the further expansion of the campus infrastructure with the addition of dedicated clinical skills center along with large and small group discussion rooms in 2010.
Following the CAAM-HP accreditation site visit in March 2014, the school of medicine followed several recommendations made by the accreditation team and as a result there were significant changes made in the areas of academics, student services, faculty, administration, facilities and physical infrastructure. Under the leadership of our new Academic Dean, there was an update of the mission and the Educational Objectives and Curriculum in the later part of 2015. 


As part of the strategic plan, Windsor University School Of Medicine (WUSOM) is in the process of campus expansion. The management of the medical school broke ground on Friday (May 29, 2015) to construct a new block (refer to diagram below) that would be a welcomed addition to the campus in Brighton’s Estate in Cayon St. Kitts. The building will house a state-of-the-art simulation lab, a new library complex and a clinical education center. The new complex will have the latest in medical equipment, digital resources / teaching materials, advanced computer software, e-books and journals. Also within the complex and geared towards the physical well-being of students and staff, there will be a new gymnasium. The deadline to finish the construction of this 30,000 square feet building was July 2016. The anticipated date to finish the construction of this 30, 000 Square feet building is December 2016.

St. Kitts Campus

Windsor University School of Medicine
P.O.Box 1621
Brighton’s Estate, Cayon
St. Kitts, West Indies
Tel 1-869-466-1220 / 6157

708-587-0047 / 0067
Fax 1-869-465-0593

Email admin@windsor.edu

U.S. Information Office
6212, Monee Manhattan Rd
Monee Illinois, 60449

Tel 708-235-1940

Fax 708-235-1942

Email usadmin@windsor.edu

Send to a friend

Send the url of this page to a friend of yours

Created by

Legal notice